Dave is a Pacific Northwest native who grew up in the farmlands surrounding Tacoma with an appreciation for rural life that is still center to his being. Dave’s interest in law began at an early age and stemmed from his own childhood experience in foster care, striving to educate himself about the legal system and to influence his destiny.
Within his 30 years of practice, Dave’s leadership as Interim Public Defender and Manger of Criminal Justice Improvement in King County, WA brought about system-wide improvements. He managed a non-profit Public Defense Agency in Seattle for nine years and was a sole practitioner for over eight years. Dave also served as a pro-tem Judge in Pierce and King Counties over the span of 13 years. He has provided Basic investigation and Homicide investigation trainings for law enforcement at the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center.
Dave finds joy coaching high school wrestling, boating, and working on the family holly farm. He has led peace circles to foster restorative justice within communities.
- Criminal Defense – Misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor and felony
- Criminal traffic representation
- CPS/Dependency/Child Welfare
- B.A., Western Washington University, 1978
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, formerly University of Puget Sound Law School, 1981
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Bar Association 1982
- United States District Court 1984
Affiliations / Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association
- Founding member of the National College of DUI Defense
- Clark County Bar Association