Committed Washington CPS Attorneys Protect Clients’ Rights

Vancouver lawyers offer valuable counsel in child welfare matters

Parents involved with Child Protective Services (CPS) benefit from the knowledge and experience a lawyer can bring to dependency and termination of parental rights cases. The attorneys at Johnson & Associates in Vancouver, Washington have extensive knowledge of applicable state laws and the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA). We understand that there are many issues and circumstances that can lead to an investigation brought about by CPS, and that there are other avenues to resolve the situation than the most drastic measures. When you work with our firm, you can rely on us to look at the totality of the circumstances and present the most compelling case possible to help you and your family.

Seasoned litigators provide zealous representation in dependency hearings

If you’ve been investigated by CPS for neglect or abuse, it is critical to speak with an attorney immediately, whether or not your child has been removed from your home. If your child has not been removed and you’ve established a voluntary contract with the agency to do what it thinks is necessary to make your home safe, it is still important. This is because even if you follow CPS’s instructions, your child could still be put it into the system if the caseworker is not happy with your progress.

If your child has been removed, Johnson & Associates can represent you throughout your dependency case, protecting your rights and fighting for your family. Our firm will present the strongest case possible to the court to help you get the results you need. That may mean that your child remains in your home or lives with a relative, or you may just need the assistance with employment, housing or utility bills that Family Assessment Response can provide.

Established law firm explains what happens after the dependency hearing

Before the court makes a dependency determination, there is a fact-finding trial within 75 days after the petition is filed. If the dependency petition succeeds, you will receive a dispositional order stating placement and visitation arrangements for your child and what you have to do to regain custody, as well as what the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), of which CPS is a part, must do for you. Court-ordered services could include:

  • Domestic violence assessments and treatment
  • Drug testing
  • Psychological evaluations
  • Sexual deviancy evaluations
  • Parenting classes
  • Supervised visitation

After 18 months of monitoring and hearings, if the court determines that you have not adequately progressed to provide a safe environment for your child, it can order the state to file a petition to terminate your parental rights. And while relative placement is prioritized, it is not always a viable option, so DSHS places children in foster care instead. With so much at stake in a complex system, you can’t afford not to have experienced representation, beginning as soon as possible after an accusation.

Contact a Washington CPS firm for a free consultation

Johnson & Associates in Vancouver, Washington handles CPS cases throughout the state. Call 360-605-1270 or contact us online for a free consultation.

Contact us

Please fill out form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.


Our Office

  • Vancouver Office


    1104 Main Street
    Suite 440
    Vancouver, Washington 98660